The success of the Flatbush African Burial Ground Remembrance and Redevelopment Task Force will rely on the involvement of the larger Flatbush community to support the shaping of the recommendations that will be incorporated into the RFP document. Community members have participated and can participate through:
- Participating in workshops - Three online community workshops took place in May and June (records below) to gather input on how best to honor the past and identify opportunities for the new project to support the community.
- Completing a community questionnaire - An online questionnaire to solicit feedback on the future of the project was open from mid-April to mid-July.
- Learning more by viewing Task Force Meetings – All Task Force meetings will be livestreamed on this site, with meeting minutes and project documents shared as well. Recordings and other documents will be updated as they become available.
Additionally, the City will continue to seek public insight to learn more about descendants of the enslaved population of Flatbush that may have been buried in the Flatbush African burial ground. Such research will be ongoing and continue throughout the entire project to build on this important history. If you have information to share, please fill out this form to support this ongoing research effort.
All Upcoming Events
Dates will be added regularly as meetings are scheduled.
- July 21, 2021: Task Force meeting #6
- TBD: Task Force meeting #7
- TBD: Public Presentation of Recommendations
The community questionnaire was an opportunity for the public to share their vision for the future project, including insights to both the memorialization of the site’s history and the future affordable housing and youth programming.
The questionnaire is now closed.
July 21, 2021 – Focus: The role and the relationship between the community the Task Force, the Developer, and the City.
Task Force Meeting Records
To make the Task Force’s process as accessible as possible, records of the Task Force meetings can be found below. Documents will be updated after each meeting.
Task Force Meeting #5 - April 14, 2021
Focus: Site planning and design, recommendations refinement, and plans for public engagement. View a recording of the meeting.
Task Force Meeting #4 - March 24, 2021
Focus: Affordable housing, non-residential uses, including space for community facility uses, youth-focused programming, and plans for public engagement. View a recording of the meeting.
Task Force Meeting #3 - February 24, 2021
Focus: Memorialization, RFP development, and co-design of the project's public engagement approach. View a recording of the meeting.
Task Force Meeting #2 - February 3, 2021
Focus: The historical importance of the site, the archeological findings, and the respectful treatment of human remains. View a recording of the meeting.
Task Force Meeting #1 - December 9, 2020
Focus: Project kickoff, intention-setting, and introduction to the site’s history
Task Force Meeting #5 Notes April 14, 2021
Task Force Meeting #5 Presentation April 14, 2021
Task Force Meeting #4 Notes March 24, 2021
Task Force Meeting #4 Presentation March 24, 2021
Task Force Meeting #3 Notes February 24, 2021
Task Force Meeting #3 Presentation February 24, 2021
Task Force Meeting #2 Notes February 3, 2021
Task Force Meeting #2 Presentation February 3, 2021
Task Force Meeting #1 Notes December 9, 2020
Task Force Meeting #1 Presentation December 9, 2020